Whitehouse Green Policy
At Whitehouse we are committed to working in a sustainable way. We are undertaking the following actions in order to achieve this:
- Monitor the measurable elements of our business such as waste, energy and occupancy. We compare & analyse to strive for greater efficiency and continuous improvement.
- Conserve energy – reduce energy by switching off lights and closing windows if heating is on. We only heat areas which are being used; we use low energy bulbs where appropriate. We use windfall trees for the open fires.
- We liaise with local communities and shop locally helping us to become more sustainable – we are fortunate to have some fantastic producers of food, drink, arts and crafts in our region.
- All our toiletries are local or Scottish – John Henry soaps are made especially for us from pure olive oil with a range of cinnamon, lemongrass, rose and geranium, rosemary and bay leaf. Bath and shower gel, hand and hair wash and body lotion are all produced by Arran Aromatics.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle – we reduce wastage to a minimum and recycle to the maximum.
- Use water wisely – we line dry all our laundry or use the airer in the kitchen. Our machines are A rated and we buy non-phosphate cleaning materials from local manufacturer “R.P. Adam Ltd, also known as Scotland’s other cherished liquid asset.
- Provide facilities and information for walkers and cyclists – we have a selection of maps and routes for walkers and cyclists. Secure bicycle storage is available on site.
- We expect similar environmental standards from all suppliers and contractors.
- We have joined the Green Tourism Business Scheme as an indicator of our sustainable practices.
- We comply with the relevant environmental legislation and commit to suitable training and sustainable development.
Roger and Angela Tyrer